LAHS Thanatology
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9

+47
mbell
AGriffith
C Weaver
VBravo3
LMichaeloff
ALever
C.Gutierrez
samanthakozz
crissytheodore
aeisenberg
JAmantea
joeypaulina
T_famularo
VBravo
ACallahan
kelly smith
shaun
Bcurran
sdouglas
zacharyh308
BBiazevich3
Stefanie Duarte
chlozoya
joshua
asinks
wthwe
cwu
Heather Francis
KSnyder
britt_somers
Kbrown
SBornstein
JWolff
LBrook
ETstelpflug
NBrooks
ndaugaard
jstuart
bsouthern
Zach Randolph
jjones
nicklopez
asotelo
SVohsing
k_garcia
mschultz
Admin
51 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9 - Page 2 Empty Re: Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9

Post  BBiazevich3 Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:36 am

1. Briefly explain the history behind the autopsy process.
Autopsies have been performed as a practical means of determining the cause of death for quite some time.It is a detailed and careful medical examination of a persons body and its organs after death to help establish the cause of death.
Autopsies have been performed for centuries and have led to many great discoveries of diseases as well as helped solve countless murder cases do to forensic autopsies.

2.Why is an autopsy performed on a routine death? How is it different from a forensic autopsy?
It is practiced on a routine death to find out how the person died and if they have any diseases. It is beneficial to the families and hopefully find a cure if that person has a disease. Forensic pathologists work in a mortuary and they are the ones who carry out detailed external and internal examination of the body.

3. What are the steps involved in an autopsy?
1. Pathologist examines the body and gives out the physical characteristics and the pathologist also weighs the body.
2. Pathologist makes a “Y” cut into the body.
3. Remove organs and cut off the connections to the body.
4. Remove the brain in a crosswise direction and cut from the base of the brain.
5. Remove the organs that have been weighed.
6. Drain the intestines so that all the excess food is removed.
7. cut open the stomach so the pathologist can examine the parts.
8. Microscopic samples are taken for an examination
9. All the major blood vessels are cut open to examine
10. Organs are placed back into place and then the body and the head are sewn back together.
11. Sew back the “y” cut then the autopsy is done.

4. What is done with major organs?
They are first removed from the body and all the organs but stomach and intestines are weighed, then the organs are put back into the body to be sewn up.

5.Would it be your desire to have a voluntary autopsy upon your death?
It would depend on how I died. If I were mysteriously gone and later found I obviously would want one, but if I died because of something that was already known to happen, then I dont see any reasons why they would need to cut my body up.

6. Why is the autopsy important to family members and friends of the deceased?
The autopsy is important to the family members and friends because it will help them know why and how you died. It may even help prevent the same type of death if in the autopsy they find some type of disease that might run in the family. And it could help find a cure for that type of disease as well.

BBiazevich3

Back to top Go down

Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9 - Page 2 Empty Re: Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9

Post  Stefanie Duarte Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:36 am

The greeks were the first ones to perform an autopsy 2,500 years ago. It is important information that could help us live longer.
2. Why is an autopsy performed on a routine death? How is it different from a forensic autopsy?
Its performed to find out how the deceased died. They can show genetic or hereditary diseases that they may have died from. Forensic autopsy's are to have detailed internal and external examanations of the body.
First, the pathologist looks at the outer body. Then a Y incision is cut into the body from the shoulder bones to the chest bones. They saw the rib cage to expose the organs. Each organ is washed and weighed, and sometimes disected. The brain is removed and examined as well. After all of the organs are weighed and examined, they are all put back into the body and the body is sewn back up.
All of the major organs are removed, weighed and examined. Some microscopic samples are taken out of most organs and major blood vessels are cut open too.
5. Would it be your desire to have a voluntary autopsy upon your death?
No, i don't like the idea that they remove all of the organs and then put them back. I feel that if they did that i wouldnt be myself because they would just be taking me a part. There are certain cases when some people need to have them, for example to find the reason how they died.
It is important to family and friends because they want to know how their loved one died and this is a great way to find out. It can also improve their health care.

Stefanie Duarte

Back to top Go down

Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9 - Page 2 Empty F

Post  zacharyh308 Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:36 am

Autopsies are performed to investigate how a person died
2. Why is an autopsy performed on a routine death? How is it different from a forensic autopsy?
Autopsies are performed on routine deaths because the family still wants to know for sure what happened to their loved one
first you examine the outside of the person, then you make a y shaped cut in their chest, take out the sternum and the chest plate,take out all the organs, drain the organs, weigh them then put them back in and sew them together after the cause of death is confirmed
they are taken out drained and then put back in or discarded
i wouldnt want to unless my death was a mystery, i dont want strangers cutting me up and goin through all my organs
so they have confirmations about what realy happened to their loved one

zacharyh308

Back to top Go down

Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9 - Page 2 Empty autopsies

Post  sdouglas Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:38 am

Greek physicians have been performing autopsies for thousands of years. Not until 1796 were they used for comprehensive medical tests and examinations.
It is performed on a routine death to put to rest any thoughts the families may have had about being able to prevent the death and to simply ensure everyone is aware of the cause of death. They are the same procedure medically.
The pathologist first externally examines the body, then creates a "y" incision from the sternum to the pubic bone. Then the ribs are sawn off and the organs removed. After that, the pathologist cuts the skull open and removes the brain. They then examine it and either return it to the body or consult with the family on how to dispose of it. The organs are weighed and studied. Intestines and stomach are drained. Samples of organs are taken. Blood vessels are cut and examined. Finally, organs and such are placed back in the body and it is sewn up.
Major organs are weighed, studied, and then placed back in the body on most occasions. Sometimes they are kept for further examination.
I would choose to do it in order to be positive about the cause of my death.
Its almost like the final say in what happened at that persons time of death. It often times brings assurance to the loved ones that the death was out of their hands and that they didnt cause it in any way. In criminal cases, the autopsy can help catch the person responsible for the deceased's passing and brings comfort to the family in that sense.

sdouglas

Back to top Go down

Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9 - Page 2 Empty autopsies

Post  Bcurran Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:40 am

It is to find out what exactly ended the person, and find cures.
To be absolutely sure that that was what ended the person, also different medical breakthroughs
First the Y cut then cutting of the ribs followed by the removal and measuring of the organs, and finally the organs are put back
They are measured and put back, unless the funeral has already happened.
Sure I don’t need any of it anymore, what dose it matter?
To see what was going on in there lives to see if they were doing bad things or bad things were being done
Twisted Evil

Bcurran

Back to top Go down

Post  shaun Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:42 am

Greek physicians performed the first autopsys 2,500 years ago and 1,769 the first text was made. They were used to learn about humanity, life, dying, and how to live longer.

To learn how the person died, to allay the family's fears in what they could have done to have prevented the death and for education. However, for the frorensic purposes it is to investigate homicides or unknown causes of death.

First you must make the Y incision, pulling back the flaps of skin. Then they saw off the ribs and expose the organs by removing the anterior chest plate. Followed by removing all the organs. Next they cut the head open with a vibrating saw and remove the brain and either cut it fresh or place it in a 20% formulation fix mixture to keep for later analysis. Followed by weighing all the organs and draining the intestines and examining the stomache content. Finally they put everything back in and sew the deceased up "like a baseball."

They are weighed and examined.

No, i would prefer not to have an autopsy but if they really need to then i wouldnt decline.

It tells them what killed the deceased and assures them of things they thought they could have done better to keep them alive didnt matter. In addition, it provides the family with information about potential grenetic diseases.

shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly smith Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:42 am

Performing autopsies helps get important medical information to help improve the lives of people who are living. Autopsies have been used since 2,500 years ago by the Greeks.

An autopsy is performed on a routine death to figure out the cause of death. It's different from a forensic autopsy because the goal of that is to investigate homocides or suspicious deaths.

First you weigh and measure the body and put it on the autopsy table. Then the Y-incision is made and the ribs are sawn off to expose the organs. The organs are usually removed as one instead of individually. Then the brain is removed, it can either be cut fresh or put in a solution. The organs are then weighed (except for stomach and intestines) & studied and then the intestines are drained. Finally the major blood vessels are cut open to be examined. The organs are then put back into the body and sew the body back up.

They are weighed and examined.

No, I wouldn't want an autopsy unless my death was unexplained or unknown as to what caused it.

It helps the family figure out what really happened to the deceased & what caused the death so they don't have to wonder why. It may also tell about potential genetic diseased that may run in the family.

Last edited by kelly smith on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

kelly smith

Back to top Go down

Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9 - Page 2 Empty Virtual Autopsy

Post  ACallahan Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:44 am

1. Greek physicians first performed autopsies 2,500 years ago. They did them to learn more about the human body. They help doctors learn more about diseases and the effects.
2. An autopsy can be performed on a routine death at the request of the family. A forensic autopsy is ordered by the state coroner
3. First there is an external examination, then an internal examination (huge Y incision), then you view the internal organs (first cut away the rib cage). The fourth step is to remove the organs. The next step is to remove the brain. After this the organs are weigh and then returned to the body. The body may be stuffed with a filler material. Finally the body is then sewn up.
4. The major organs are weighed out and examined (sometimes cut into sections) and then returned to the body.
5. I don't think I would like to have an autopsy after death, unless people really had no clue whatsoever of how I died. I don't like the idea of being cut up and all of my organs taken out along with my brain. I'd like everything to stay in it's place.
6. The autopsy can be important to families and friends of the deceased because it can be a way of closure. If they don't know how their loved one died then it can give them some answers. Also it can warn them of potential genetic diseases.

ACallahan

Back to top Go down

Post  VBravo Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:45 am

The Greeks where the first to perform an autopsy 2,500 years ago, but it wasn’t until 1769 that the first comprehensive pathology text was written.

Autopsies are performed on the dead to see the cause of the persons death.

First measure and weigh the body, then make Y-incision, then ribs are sawn off and anterior chest wall is cut away. Then the brain is removed using a transverse incision, then organs are removed and are weighed, drained, and rinsed. Organs are put back and stitched up.

The major organs are drained then put back in the body, then sample of the organs are taken for studies

Last edited by VBravo on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total

VBravo

Back to top Go down

Post  T_famularo Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:48 am

Autopsies are where a lot of medical research is done. Through autopsies, many diseases and conditions have been discovered. In 1769 Giovanni Batista Morgagni published the first comprehensive pathology text. Taking apart the human dead body has been centered around medical education since the Renaissance.

Autopsies are performed on a routine death primarily to determine the cause of death and various other benefits that help the family, medical research and the community. It is different than a forensic autopsy because forensics is mainly about the investigation of a crime or other unexplained or suspicious deaths.
The body is measured and weighed, and then the first “Y” cut is made. The ribs are then sawn off to expose the organs. The organs are then removed and the brain is removed as well. The organs are then weighed by section. They’re drained in a sink and some samples are taken for farther research. The major blood vessels are then cut open and measured. The organs are then place back in along with filler material. The “Y” cut is then sown back up.
They are cut into sections, weighed, cleaned and then place back into the body. Sometimes samples will be taken to do more research on them.
No, I would rather not have my body dismantled even though it is probably good for medical reasons. I want to keep my body in some respectful manner so cutting it open and taking organs out don’t seem pleasant to me.
It allays the family’s fears about what they could’ve done to prevent the death. It provides family members with info about potential genetic problems that may come up. Family members and friends usually want to know how and why and what could have been done so an autopsy usually explains it all.

T_famularo

Back to top Go down

Post  joeypaulina Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:49 am

1.The autopsy process was first started by the Greeks to learn more about the human body.
2.An autopsy is performed on a person to figure out how the person died. They may also look for
genetic disease.
3.First they cut the body open second they saw off the ribs third they take all the organs out sometimes they weigh them fourth they remove the brain sometimes they cut the brain to do research fifth they put every thing back in after it’s been drained and last they sew the body back up.
4.The major organs are weighed and individually examined.
5.If I died of natural causes then no, if I was murdered and no one knew how it happened then yes, it just would depend.
6.I think it brings peace to a loved ones mind, you realize that you couldn’t have done anything to save the person if they died of something natural. It mainly puts all the questions to rest.

joeypaulina

Back to top Go down

Post  JAmantea Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:50 am

1.Briefly explain the history behind the autopsy process.

Greek physicians performed autopsies 2,500 years ago and in 1769, the first text was written by an Italian physician. Autopsies have been part of medical education since renaissance times.

2.Why is an autopsy performed on a routine death? How is it different from a forensic autopsy?

They are still performed to find out what the person died of in great detail and may help my find new diseases and maybe even cures.

-External examination
-‘Y’ incision, cutting from shoulders to breastbone done to pubic bone
-Unfold the skin of the incision and saw off rib bones to get to internal organs
-Remove, weigh, and inspect organs outside the body
-Remove brain
-replace organs, brain, and intestine. Sew up body.

They are put back into the body, may use a filler to replace them, brain is sometimes kept for further analysis.

Its not really a desire of mine, but I will be dead anyways so it wouldn't matter to me.

It lets the family know what the person died from in great detail.

JAmantea

Back to top Go down

Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9 - Page 2 Empty Autopsy

Post  aeisenberg Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:50 am

1)Briefly explain the history behind the autopsy process.
The autopsy is a way to learn more about how people die. People examine the dead and their organs. They help us learn more and they give us important information about what and what not to do so that we live longer. It is also referred to as a post-mortem examination.

The autopsy is performed on a routine death so that the family knows what kind of illness the deseased had so that they can avoid it. Forensics work in a mortuary and they are the ones who finish the whole process about the detailed external and internal examination of the body.

1) The Pathologist writes the results of the examination and lists all physical characteristics and measures the weight and places the body on the scale.
2) The Y cut is made starting from the shoulders down to the sturnum.
3) The ribs are them sawn off to expose the vital organs
4) The brain is removed in a crosswise direction then cut from the base of the spinal cord
5) The organs are removed and measured individually
6) The intestined are drained to get rid of food and faeces.
7) The stomach is then cut open
Cool Organs are analyzed under a microscope for further examination.
9) All of the blood vessels are cut off the examine length and characteristics
10) The organs are placed back and every thing is sewn up.
11) The Y is sewn up and the autopsy is complete.

4. What is done with major organs?The organs are put back in the body and everything is sewn back up.

5) Would it be your desire to have a voluntary autopsy upon your death?

Absolutley not. I don't want to be cut open and tampered with. When I die I want to be left alone and buried without any cuts on my body. It's not natural.

It is important to some families and friends because then they can learn how he or she died so that they can be careful with their own heath.

aeisenberg

Back to top Go down

Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9 - Page 2 Empty autopsy's <3

Post  crissytheodore Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:53 am

1 .Briefly explain the history behind the autopsy process.
Autopsies started in order to give a source of valuable medical information that can improve health. They have already discovered a lot of diseases and conditions because of autopsies. Autopsies were being performed 2500 years ago, but the first written comprehensive pathology test was not until 1769.
Some of the reasons to get an autopsy would be:
-Allaying a family’s fears about what they could have done to prevent the death.
-Providing loved ones information about potential genetic diseases that could possible cause implications for them.
-Medical education, training and research leading to improved healthcare.
-Provides information about preventing causes of diseases, accidents, and other public health hazards.
The first thing that happens is the pathologists record the results of the external examination and lists all of the physical characteristics. The first cut, known as the ‘Y’ incision is made. The incision is very deep and extends to the rib cage on chest and the skin is then peeled back. The ribs are sawn off, then the sternal plate is cut away to expose organs. Organs are removed. The brain is removed, then cut fresh for analysis. The brain is then studied, while the organs are weighed and studied individually. Then they fill the body up with a filler material. After the Y incision is sewn up, the autopsy is completely.
After they remove, weigh, and examine the organs, they are placed back in the body unless they are needed for further examination. Ex: Heart, brain etc. A filler material is usually placed in the empty space with the organs.
I would never let my body be cut up voluntarily. Autopsy’s really gross me out. I understand that pathologists need to do things like this to study and learn about the body, and also to investigate a case, but unless they needed to do an autopsy on me, I would definitely rather be made into diamonds.
The family can be re assured after an autopsy. In some cases it can prove that a loved one was killed the way they thought he was. If a family is in denial that a loved one could have lived longer if the doctors would have done something else that can also be proved by an autopsy. They can also help in the long run so that families can see genetic diseases or problems running through their blood.

crissytheodore

Back to top Go down

Post  samanthakozz Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:53 am

The autopsy process was developed in order to ensure a proper diagnosis of death and to also learn more about diseases and ways of death. It is also beneficial to the families because they can tell if you have a genetic condition that could be useful in their struggle to stay healthy. The Greeks have been performing autopsies for the past 2,500 years but in 1769 the first book was written about it.
It is meant to provide and answer to why and how the person had died. A forensic autopsy is meant for homicide victims.

First, the pathologist examines and records any damages or noticeable wounds on the external part of the body. Second, they make a y-shaped incision across their chest and down to the pelvic plate. Then they saw off the ribs and the chest plate to get to all the goodies inside. Also, the organs are individually removed. Then they get to cut into the skull to remove the brain. After the brain is removed, the pathologist examines and weighs all internal organs individually. Then they have to put everything back into place and sometimes along with “fillers” and the head and the y-shaped incision is sewn up and the autopsy is complete.

They are taken out all at once and then individual examined. Your intestines are drained to remove any undigested food. The contents of the stomach are also examined. Pathologists take a microscopic sample of most organs for further analysis. Lastly, major blood vessels are cut open lengthwise and are examined further.

Yeah, sure. I mean I don’t know why not; it’s not like I’ll be needing my body anymore. And if it helps my family get a better understanding of our medical history and it gives them a sense of relief, then of course.

It helps family members diminish the fear of something they could have done to prevent the death. It also prevents family members with valuable genetic information about diseases that are present in the family that could be prevented if found earlier.

samanthakozz

Back to top Go down

Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9 - Page 2 Empty Autopsy?????

Post  C.Gutierrez Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:56 am

The Greeks performed the first autopsy 2,500 years ago. In 1769 that the first comprehensive pathology text was written about an autopsy.
2. Why is an autopsy performed on a routine death? How is it different from a forensic autopsy? An autopsy is performed on a routine death because the family asks for an autopsy. The difference is that forensic is ordered by the state coroner.An Autopsy is performed to find the cause of death and to study the organs.
3. What are the steps involved in an autopsy? Measure and weight the body, make a Y cut in the body, cut the ribs, take the brain out, take the organs out, drain and rinse the organs, then the organs are weighted, after the organs are put back and the body is stitched up.
4. What is done with major organs? They are drained and put back into the body; samples of the organs are taken for studies.
5. Would it be your desire to have a voluntary autopsy upon your death? Yes due to if there was something that I could pass on to my family that I didn’t know about I would like them to be able to seek help or treatment.
To find any disease that may be passed on to family members, and to know what they died of.

C.Gutierrez

Back to top Go down

Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9 - Page 2 Empty Virtual Autopsy

Post  ALever Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:57 am

The ancient Greeks preformed autopsies around 2,500 years ago, but the first comprehensive pathology text wasn’t written until 1769 by Italian physician Giovanni Batista Morgagni.
It is preformed to find out how the person died. A forensic autopsy looks for evidence in homicide investigations. A state coroner performs forensic autopsies.
A “Y” incision is made from the shoulders down to the pelvis. Then the skin is pulled back and the ribs are cut and removed. The organs are usually taken out by the Rokitansky method; organs are usually removed as one. The brain is removed by opening the skull laterally and cutting the brainstem. If there is a homicide investigation or pathology tests need to be done, the brain will be fixed in a solution of formalin for up to two weeks. It can be done sooner if the family requests the brain be present at the funeral. The organs are then weighed, the stomach and intestines drained, the other organs placed back in the body, and the body sewn back up like a baseball.
They are studied for toxicology, pathology, or other tests, then placed back in the body. Sometimes the brain is needed for further testing, so the family or pathologist decides how the brain will be respectfully disposed of.
If I died under suspicious circumstances, I would want an autopsy. If I died of natural causes, I would not want an autopsy.
An autopsy can bring closure, disclose any genetic diseases, and provide alleviate some guilt they feel over how they could have prevented the death.

ALever

Back to top Go down

Post  LMichaeloff Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:02 pm

1) Briefly explain the history behind the autopsy process.Autopsies are a source of medical information for the deceased. Many diseases and conditions can be discovered with the use of autopsies[/color].

2)Why is an autopsy performed on a routine death? How is it different from a forensic autopsy?Autopsies are performed on a routine death because it allows the family to understand how the person died, it allows the family to find out if there are any dieseas present and may occur later on, helps provide medical healthcare,it also provides information about causes of diseases and accident and public health hazards. Forensic autupsies help to see if even if the person had a clear understanding of death the person may of had a critcal health conditoin before.[/color]

3)What are the steps involved in an autopsy?
1) pathologist reords specific information of characteristics and the body is wieghed and placed on the autopsy table.
2) Make the Y incision
3)ribs are sawn off and the chest wall is cut away to expose the oragans underneath and the organs are rmoved
4)brain is removed and is either cut fresh or is put in a soloution for ftuture analysis
5)removed organs are weighed and studied
6) intestines are drained and put in the sink to remove undigested food
7)stomach is cut open and the contents examined
8)Microspcopeic samples are taken for analysis
9)all major blood vessela are cut open

4)What is done with major organs
The organs are taken out of the body, and are weighed. They are then drained and put back in the body.

5. Would it be your desire to have a voluntary autopsy upon your death?I think to figure out how anybody dies oen need to perform a autopsy. But for itto voluntary is a differnet story. If the doctores didn't know how I dies, then yes I would want a autopsy, but if they did then I wouldn't want the the voluntary autotopsy.

6. Why is the autopsy important to family members and friends of the deceased?An autopsy is very important o family members and friends of the deceased because it let family members know and helps them focus on how the person died so that they will be able to keep a close watch on they lives and how someone that has died can affect a family members and friends on how either they died or of any diseases that may coexist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LMichaeloff

Back to top Go down

Post  VBravo3 Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:54 am

The Greeks where the first to perform an autopsy 2,500 years ago, but it wasn’t until 1769 that the first comprehensive pathology text was written.

Autopsies are performed on the dead to see the cause of the persons death.
To provide information on potential genetic diseases and for medical research and education

First measure and weigh the body, then make Y-incision, then ribs are sawn off and anterior chest wall is cut away. Then the brain is removed using a transverse incision, then organs are removed and are weighed, drained, and rinsed. Organs are put back and stitched up.

The major organs are drained then put back in the body, then sample of the organs are taken for studies

No I wouldn't unless it's something that they have to do.

To inform them with all the medical problems and exactly what caused his/her death.

VBravo3

Back to top Go down

Post  C Weaver Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:13 am

1. Briefly explain the history behind the autopsy process.- an examination to help pathologists determine the cause of death.
-Forensic autopsy is perforjmed for medical legal purposes, no family consent is needed to preform this type of autopsy.
-external examination
-internal examination
-Y incision
-viewing the internal organs
-removal of organs
-removing the brain
-weighing the organs
-returning the organs to the body
-sewing up the body
-The major organs are removed, weighed, and returned to the body after examination
-Yes, if my cause of death was unknown.
6. Why is the autopsy important to family members and friends of the deceased.
-Because of death was a mystery its almost neccesary to have an autopsy to further help the family identify the cause of the death.

C Weaver

Back to top Go down

Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9 - Page 2 Empty ouch

Post  AGriffith Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:02 pm

1. Autopsies have been done in order to find out much medical information and improve health care in the future. There have been many discoveries of diseases and conditions from autopsies. Autopsies were performed as long as 2,500 years ago and have been central to medical education since the Renaissance.
2. Autopsies can help investigate how someone died. They are able to show any diseases someone way have had and or drug use or abuse that had been used in the process of the death.
3. First the body is measured, weighed and placed on a special slanted autopsy table with running water. The body is then cut in to the shape of a Y from each shoulder to the breastbone then all the way from the sternum to the pubic bone. The ribs are sawn off and the sternal plate is cut away so you can view the organs underneath. The organs are removed by the Rokitansky method usually. The brain is removed by cutting slanted from the base of the brain to the spinal cord. After examination the body is then stitched back together after all organs are back in place.
4. The organs are removed and weighed but the intestines and stomach are not weighed. The intestines are drained in a sink and the stomach is cut open and the contents are examined.
5. It would not be my desire to have a voluntary autopsy upon my death, i would not choose that to be done with myself but if it was a case in where an autopsy was needed to be done to find out how i died, then i guess it would be fine.
6. An autopsy may be important to the family because they may not know how the person died and the family of the deceased would definitely want to know how it happened. The family may also be able to benefit from the way a person was killed if there was a murder or something involved with the court or law.

AGriffith

Back to top Go down

Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9 - Page 2 Empty autopsy response

Post  mbell Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:21 pm

The body is layed on a metal table that is slightly slanted to drain the blood. The body is cut open in a Y shape from top of shoulder area to pubic bone. Then they cut the skull open and take the brain out to examine it. They cut the ribs open and take out the organs. They weigh the organs then put the back in the body and sew it up.
Autopsy's are perfomed because people like to know what happened to the person who died
The body is layed on a table, then cut into in a Y shape from the top of your chest to your pubic bone. The ribs are cut and the organs removed. The skull is cut open and the brain is removed for examining. The organs are weighed and put back into the body then the body is sewn back up.
They are taken out and weighed then put back.
No, not unless needed.
Its important because the family might be interested or need to know the cause of death

mbell

Back to top Go down

Autopsy - due by 9pm Monday 6/9 - Page 2 Empty Courtney Macofsky

Post  CourtneyNMac Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm

An autopsy is the final piece of the puzzle to learn about what happened and what went wrong and helps bring closure to family and friends. Greek physicians performed autopsies 2,500 years ago, but it wasn't until 1769 that the first comprehensive pathology text was written by the Italian physician Giovanni Batista Morgagni in 'The seats and causes of diseases investigated by anatomy.'

Autopsy’s are a tool used to find information about each persons death as well as improving the health care field. Even in routine deaths studies show that in many cases even when the cause of death seemed clear, the person in fact had medical conditions that were not apparent during their life. Family members might also learn about their own genes or what they could have done to prevent the illness or death.

The word autopsy is derived from a Greek word autopsia meaning 'seeing for oneself'. An autopsy is usually carried out within 48 hours after the death of a person where surgical techniques are used to remove and examine each organ. First the physical characteristics are examined along with unique smells/sights. The Y incision is the first cut made which opens up the chest cavity. The most common way to remove the organs is known as the Rokitansky method. Organs are removed by cutting off their connections to the body and are usually removed as one. The organs are placed back in the body, and the body will sometimes be filled with a filler material and the autopsy ends by sewing the Y incision back up.

All removed organs are weighed and studied individually. Most organs are cut up in sections by a scalpel. Microscopic samples are taken of most organs. And finally the major blood vessels are cut open and examined length wise. After all is done, they place the organs back into the body.

If my death was a murder or an unknown cause I would like to have an autopsy so that the cause could be learned but if I died naturally or from a disease I was already aware of I would prefer not to have my body cut up and examined.

An autopsy is important in the grieving process. It is a way for family members and friends to get that final piece of the puzzle and provide closure to the death.

CourtneyNMac

Back to top Go down

Post  CAragon Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:10 pm

Autopsy is used for many things. The autopsy is used to study organs and the bodily functions of a human. This helps doctors to find cures and explenations for many bodily diseases and ect. Not only is it for medical reasons but also for crime scene investigations. They started using autopsies to discover how a victim was killed and when which has helped them solve many crimes.

Autopsies are performed on a routine death for many reasons. One major reason is to find the cause of the death. Autopsy also benefits the family as well as the community. They can discover any gentic diseases that the rest of the family should be careful for and "allaying a families fears about what they could have done to prevent the death . Forensic Autopsy provides evidence in homicide cases that can be used to find the killer and ect. And it also shows medical issues that the victim may have had during there life.

1. an external examination is made on the body.
2. "Y" insision is made on the bodies chest. The insision is deep and skin is peeled over.
3. The rib cage is sawn off and the chest wall is removed and the organs are takin out one by one.
4. the brain is removed.
5. removed organs weighed and studied seperately
6. intestines are drained.
7. contents of the stomach is examined
8. sample of organs are analyzed
9. blood vessels are examined.
10. all organs put back in the body and sewn up.
11. complete!

Major organs are studied individualy and analyzed.

Yes i would desire to have a voluntary autopsy for my death for my family and medical reason and also to help them research anything that could help them cure a sickness.

It is important to give them a comfort on how they died and to help them realize it was not there fault and ect.

CAragon

Back to top Go down

Post  CChew Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:43 pm

Greek physicians are credited as being the first ones to perform auotopsies. Even though autopsies have taken place over 2.500 years ago, it wasn’t until 1769 that the very first pathologic text was written. Since the Renaissance period, dissection of human bodies has played a major role in medical research. Cadavers are essential learning tools for doctors and medical students.
An autopsy performed on a routine death allow families to be become aware of genetic diseases of the deceased family member. Moreover, this kind of autotopsy can determine the time of death of the loved one. Forensic autotopsies are different for they are normally done for homicidal investigations. Bodies can serve as key evidence for solving crimes.
color=green]1. All physical characteristics are recorded and the body is weighed/measured.
2. A “Y” incision is made and organs are removed by cutting off their connections to the body, organs weighed, measured individually and examined
3. The brain is removed and is taken for further examination
4. Intestines are drained, the stomach is cut open to examine its content, organ samples are taken for analysis and major blood vessels are cut open.
5. The organs are placed back into the body and everything is sewn up.[/color]
The major organs are removed, measured, weighed individually and examined. Most organs are cut up into sections with a scalpel where samples are taken for further analysis. Once this is done, the organs are placed back into the body.5. Would it be your desire to have a voluntary autopsy upon your death?
5. Do you want an autopsy?
Unless deemed necessary, I would not want a voluntary autotopsy. If I were to be a homocide victim, I could see how my body woould be a useful tool in tracking down the killer. At the same time, what is done with my body after death would be determined by my family’s wishes.
Autopsies provide an abundance of inormation that suriving family members will benefit from. For example, they can tell how a person has died and the time of death. Autopsies can also give information regarding genetic diseases which would be useful for future generations. Especially for homocide cases, forensic autopsies sometimes serve as key evidence in solving a case. All in all, autopsies are meant to answer family members’ r questions about their loved one’s death.

CChew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum