LAHS Thanatology
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Photography Exhibit: Life Before Death

+51
bsouthern
brianbickerstaff
C.Gutierrez
LMichaeloff
wthwe
CChew
LBrook
KSnyder
nicklopez
Kbrown
Veronica De Bernardo
Heather Francis
cwu
anthonygilkenson
SBornstein
britt_somers
aeisenberg
k_garcia
SVohsing
NBrooks
Zach Randolph
ndaugaard
jstuart
jblank
jjones
ehoward
mschultz
asotelo
CourtneyNMac
ALever
joeypaulina
chlozoya
shaun
mbell
CAragon
asinks
sdouglas
T_famularo
JAmantea
AGriffith
mike_doll96
A Anderson
crissytheodore
BBiazevich3
C Weaver
Stefanie Duarte
ACallahan
zacharyh308
A.Leverone
Bcurran
Admin
55 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Photography Exhibit:  Life Before Death - Page 2 Empty Re: Photography Exhibit: Life Before Death

Post  mschultz Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:33 am

1. Explain the benefits and downsides of the subject Walter Schels has chosen to study. How does it effect him both positively and negatively?
Death is a topic that is not oftenly expressed in everyday life. Walter Schels's photographs give us a glimpse at life before death and the body after death. The downsides of Walter Schels's subject to study is the lifespan of each subject. The photographed subject may live far away which may prove some difficulty in photographing the subject after life has left them.

2. How has the creation of this artistic exhibit changed the artist? How did viewing it change you?
The artist, Walter Schels, started taking photographs of the dying with the false hopes of prolonging the life. When his mother died at the age of 89, Schels took a photograph of his mother earlier that day because he didn't want to see her after death.

3. Do you think this exhibit is art? Why/why not?
The concept of art draws a very fine line. In many ways, Walter Schels's work could be considered art, but some critics would proclaim that it is actually a recording of the past.

4. Which of the photo pairs do you find the most poignant? Explain.
Maria Hai-Anh Tuyet Cao's photographs were the most poignant to me. She died at the age of 52 and in the first photograph, she doesn't look like she's going to die. In the second photograph, she seems so calm and at rest, like all the pain that she had been experiencing was washed away. In her first portrait, there is pain and fear behind her eyes.

5. Which of the subjects' words did you find the most striking? Explain.
I found Greda Strech's words the most stricking. She put her life into work and then she was going to die. She felt like her life had been a waste if all she ever was destined to do was work. Her daughter was terrified to see her mother die. What really effected me was the daughter's response to her mother dying.

mschultz

Back to top Go down

Photography Exhibit:  Life Before Death - Page 2 Empty Re: Photography Exhibit: Life Before Death

Post  ehoward Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:34 am

1. Explain the benefits and downsides of the subject Walter Schels has chosen to study. How does it effect him both positively and negatively?
Him choosing death is such a big thing and very different and interesting. Schels said that its such a hard topic to use in photography, because the people are dying and to me that seems akward to go into a room of someone dying with them knowing your only taking pictures of them because they are dieing. Its great that a few of the patients he takes pictures of feel better that someone is listening to them compared to other people that try to pretend nothings wrong. They like talking about whats going on with them and how they feel its a healing process for them and think thats a great thing for him to be doing. Although its great he talks to them I can't imagine him being able to meet all these people and talk to them then go back and take pictures of them when they are dead it just seems creepy to me.

2. How has the creation of this artistic exhibit changed the artist? How did viewing it change you?
Seeing this art makes me feel different about death because the people look so at peace when they are dead instead of what most people think about death. It makes beauty out of a tragity and I think thats amazing. I'm guessing alot of people feel the same.

Yes because art isn't something to judge and say "that's not art," in his eyes it was. He took time to go out and do these things and effort to create all this so of coarse it's art!

I liked number 3, Maria Hai-Anh Tuyet Cao, she is so beautiful i think. She looks so innocent and sad and its very heartbreaking in the first picture and when you see the second picture and see how relaxed and at peace she is its so of a relieve and you can see she is in a better place.

I think Beate Taube's words were because she is a woman who battled breast cancer while she still had a family at home. She was so thoughtful when she decided not to have her children and husband with her because i could not imagine watching my mom die. I dont know if I would be able to die alone that seems so scary to me i would want someone i love there holding my hand.

ehoward

Back to top Go down

Post  jjones Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:39 am

Some benefits for Walter Schels gets from this experience is the acceptance of the death and how people live their lives and how much they seem to really have enjoyed there life’s. From Walter doing this it will help him when he is ready to die understand and learn to accept it and your life. The downside would be when he first started this project and him being afraid of something bad happening.
It changed the way he thought about death and how touching it can be. By myself viewing this is has not really changed of what I think, but it does make me aware when you are diagnosed with something non curable you have to realize that you are going to die and you have to accept it.
I do think this exhibit is art, art is everything even though it can be disturbing I would still consider it as art.

Elly Genthe age 83, I think she looked the unhealthiest and the most like she would be in pain.

I would say Maria Hai-Anh Tuyet Cao, who is age 52, because she thinks death is nothing and you embrace death it is not eternal. I think everything that she said is powerful.

jjones

Back to top Go down

Post  jblank Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:39 am

One of the benefits of Schels’ art project is that this is definitely not something that everyone gets to see every day. I know I for one have not watched death in a way that Schels is giving us an opportunity to see. A downside is maybe perhaps people will see this and be afraid of death, however, I think the opposite would occur. These people look so natural. If I wasn’t told they were dead, I probably would not have known. Maybe this will show people how natural of a thing death really is. I’m sure this project started out affecting Schels negatively. He even states how he was afraid of the bodies. However, doing this as a career must have changed him. Hopefully, it changed him for the better. I don’t think that speaking to dying patients and hearing what they have to say wouldn’t change you. I hope that he is now accepting of the inevitable-death.

Like I stated, Schels speaks to the patients he photographs. From the quotes, I can tell that they have a lot to say about their condition and their death. Some are accepting of it, some are not. I’m sure these opposing ideas of death the people have influences Schels on his own beliefs. It must be so difficult to know you have an impending death in the near future. To have the opportunity to speak with these people must mean so much, and I’m sure it changed the artist in a way he can’t describe. The viewing showed me, like I said, that death isn’t always ugly. When I think of death, I think of murders, suicides, car crashes, ect. The ugly side of death. Some of these individuals were very comfortable with their death, and were ready to experience it. This tells me a lot about death and how it’s not *always* a bad thing.

I think this exhibit can be classified as art, however to me, it was more of a very interesting documentary for scientific learning purposes.Some of the pictures were beautiful, with the peaceful expressions on their faces.

I found photos 7 and 8 to be the most poignant. The woman had breast cancer and died at age 44. This was especially personal to me because my own mother died of breast cancer. The before and after pictures really are shocking, as in the first picture, she looks pretty alright, but in the second picture, you can clearly see the effects of her chemotherapy. In my own mother’s battle with breast cancer, I remember chemotherapy all too well. These sets of photos therefore reminded me of a difficult past.

Again, I would have to go with the breast cancer victim. She told her husband that dying alone would be the easiest for her, as it pained her so to leave her husband and kids behind. This is a huge decision, to choose to die alone. I can’t imagine the emptiness one would feel at that last moment.

Last edited by jblank on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:44 am; edited 2 times in total

jblank

Back to top Go down

Photography Exhibit:  Life Before Death - Page 2 Empty photography

Post  jstuart Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:40 am

1. He is somewhat attacking his own fears and aiding in the healing process from the damage done during the war, but at the same time it is extremely emotionally taxing on him to constantly be surrounded by the prescence of death.

2. It gave him peace and closure and he now doesn't fear death. On top of that he has learned to value every minute he has and how to truly live life. It gave me insight to the differentiating feelings of people just before the end. it was sad, yet not depressing. It was extremely real to me and i found that especially poignant.

3. I absolutely think that the exhibit is art. It is capturing a real (if not the realest) moment in a person's life. Death. It is raw and not altered in any way. I think the photographer had an immense amount of humility and respect going into this project which i really appreciated.

4. The photo that was most poignant to me was of Heiner. You can see the life in his eyes and even in the after shot his body still seems to hold an air of dignity and pride just as he was a very poised person while living. The angles and shadows of the picture also gave a very humble appearance and displayed him as a person who had truly lived a life of thought and meaning.

5. I would say that Gerda's words were the most hard-hitting for me. When she says, "Oh dont talk to me about souls, where is God now?" It was so sharp and caustic and drove through me hard. it was so sad to know she left the world with so much anger and bitterness inside of her.

jstuart

Back to top Go down

Post  ndaugaard Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:40 am

A downside of his subject is that photographing the body was a challenge and at first he has trouble looking at dead bodies. Another downside was that he was always on call because a person could die at any time and he would have to go photograph them. Also, he saw how lonely the dying people were. A benefit was that finding people who were dying was easy ande by the end he had no trouble looking at dead bodies, or even moving them around.

The creation of this exhibit changed how they feel about dying themselves, and about living. They also learned how to support a friend or relative through terminal illness. For me, the photos and stories of the people were intense, although it did not change me in any way. I have been around death for many years and have been to more funerals than i can account for. I have seen lung cancer in 2 of my grandparents who died of it and breast cancer in my grandma although she survived it.

I think it is art because it is skilled photographs. They are not just regular photos they are planned.

I found the photo of Barbara Grone the most poignant because she shocked me the most. It is very sad that she can think that she is not meant to be on this earth just because her mother did not want her. She stopped thinking that so much and then she got the cancer and it made her believe it once again.

The words of Rita Schoffler affected me the most because I am not afraid of death; I am afraid of having regrets. She felt as if she needed to talk to her ex husband before she died which to me was sort of a regret and i don't want to have any regrets before i die.[/color]

ndaugaard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Randolph Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:43 am

The benefits of this is that it helped him get over his fear of the dead and it shows that it is not scary to die it is just a part of life. Some downsides are that they are dieing and there is going to be an end for all of us one day. It has made him realize that death is not as scary as he has seen it in his past and it has made him more use to death.

It has changed the artist because it has made them more aware that people should be more aware of death and not be so hidden from the truth. People are going to die and not everyone wants to except that truth. The pictures really didnt effect me or change my views i was introduced to death at a quite early age and it has never really effected me since then.

Yes, it is art because it shows the way people are before death and after death. They look so much more at peace after they have died and that is kind of soothing for me. It is also art because it is a different view on what art can actually be and it makes a statement.

Elly Genthe was the most poignant she looks so much more relaxed after death. During when she was alive she didnt seem like she would be a happy person to be around she seems really stressed out and like she is mad a the world. When she died she became more at peace her face wasnt as scrunched up and she seemed some what relieved.

Heiner Schmitz was the most striking words to me because all of his friends were with him to the end. He was able to celebrate his last days on this earth and he was enjoying every second he had. His friends tried to keep his mind off of death as best as they could and were enjoying his time with him. That is the most important part is being with your friends and people who care for you and will not forget you after you die.

Zach Randolph

Back to top Go down

Photography Exhibit:  Life Before Death - Page 2 Empty ...LIFE N DEATH...

Post  NBrooks Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:44 am

Sad

Walter Schels chose to take pictures of people when they first get diagnosed with an illness and right before their death. This effects him positively because it can show the victim's families what they looked like before they died and makes them appreciate the life that they have right now because the pictures are really sad. Taking pictures can effect him negatively because when he was a young boy, he lived near the war and his house got blown up, and he saw many torn bodies with their heads torn off and their arms and legs torn off which made him scared to look at a dead body ever which causes him to take pictures of living bodies before death...i feel like it would be negative though because he won't ever get over his fear of dead bodies and fear of death itself.

The creation of this exhibit changed the artist beacuse it is very in your face WOW...i never seen something like this before and i think that most people in the world haven't either. It is really sad to see someone so lively and fine and then one picture afterwards they are weak looking and very sad and depressed...

Yes i do...anything you believe can be art. The blue sky is art to the little ant on the ground is art. It is just the way you look at it and really feel like it is something you can call art. The pictures are very representive and the way they take the pictures, i dont think it is just a normal picture but it has A LOT of meaning to it. It shows life and death and art does that.

I think that the first set of photos you see hits ME the most because you see this woman who is old but looks very lively. Even though she isn't smiling, you can see the warmth in her face, but when you look at the second picture, i didn't even know it was the same person!! The second picture looks so OLD and so sadd..with her cheeks sagging down so far and the wrinkles so deep. Even if she is right before death, she looks like a dead person. it is just so shocking to me how much it can change and how sad she looks.

"When you're facing the end, everything that's not real is stripped away. You're the most real you'll ever be, more real than you've ever been before".....this quote means a lot to me when i read it. this quote is saying that when you are about to die, you dont need to hide behind this curtain and not be yourself because you have no more time left and everything you are and everything you want to be, should be achieved because you never know when your time may be...

NBrooks

Back to top Go down

Photography Exhibit:  Life Before Death - Page 2 Empty Life Before Death

Post  SVohsing Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:45 am

The benefits of this study is that he can really see what its like before death, second hand. He learns more from each person he meets, and they tell them what it is like for them. The downside is it is still hard for him to face death. After meeting and befriending these people, he has to take photos of them dead. Its not an easy thing to face death even when dealing with it every day. It effects him because it showing him something new that most people are not used to facing. It affects him positivily because he can understand that life and death are two different things.

It changed the artist because he expierenced somthing that not many other people expierence. Life before death is something that everyone will eventually face, but he is there with the people when they are alive, and there minutes or hours after they die to take a picture of what is now gone. It changed me because it made me think more about death, and how it is eventually going to come for me; and death does scare me, just like any other person.

Yes, i believe it is a form of art because its life, and then life after death captured by a picture. Not many people are able to have a picture takin days before they die, and the day of their death.

The photos of Beate Taube, because there is such a dramatic change from the picture of her while she was still alive, and the picture taken after her death. It shows the suffering she may have encountered in those few days or weeks before her death, and the picture of her finally at rest after dying.

Gerda Strech's words were themost shocking for me, because she only cared about herself. She didn't want to die because her life was "nothing but work, work, work." When her daughter tried to comfort her, and tell her their souls will all be together again some day, she told her daughter to not talk to her about souls, and questioned "where is god now?" She only thought about herself, and was scared to die.

SVohsing

Back to top Go down

Post  k_garcia Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:47 am

Walter said that to him the thought of taking these pictures was terrifying. He wanted to bring death out of the shadows and make people face thier own mortality. Taking these pictures brought him to the understanding that his time on earth was truly limited and that he should make every day count.
The creation of his exhibit showed him that time on earth should be precious and savored. He learned not to take his days for granted. Seeing this exhibit really didnt change my perspective on death. I just found it incredibly disturbing.
I believe that the photographs could be considered art but the subject I think is just a before and after picture. The portraits take a talent to make them so beautiful but the subject to me is less than art.
I think the first pair of Edelgard Clavey was the most distressing to me. She looks totally fine in the first picture and then to see her in the next picture is frightening. In all the other pictures the people look like they're sleeping but in hers she actually looks dead.
5. Which of the subjects' words did you find the most striking? Explain
"Her daughter tried to console her, saying: “Mummy, we’ll all be together again one day.” “That’s impossible,’ Gerda replied. “Either you’re eaten by worms or burned to ashes"
I've never seen a person who is facing an impending death be so forward about it. Most people want to believe that they're going on to a better place but she faced the reality that there might not be a place like that and in fact her body would be eaten by worms or burned to ashes.

k_garcia

Back to top Go down

Photography Exhibit:  Life Before Death - Page 2 Empty Art and Death.

Post  aeisenberg Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:47 am

The Benefits is that he gets to know the people who are dying. He pays close attention to them and makes their death beautiful art. The downside is that he gets to know them well but he knows eventually that they are going to die.

He has been changed because he feels that death should not be hidden away from society. He feels it should be freely talked about because it is something that is going to happen to every one sooner or later. It changed the way I look at death because when I saw all of the sick people, I really felt for them and when I saw their faces I felt the pain that they were expressing on their face.

I do think it is art because even though death is sad and depressing, it is also liberating. It is the release of the soul and to depict that through art makes it even more artistic than any other piece because each picture has a story behind it.

I think the pair of photos that is most poignant are the photos of Klara Behrens. Her eyes when she is alive are so lively, like big pools of running water. When she has passed on though, it seems like all the life was sucked out of her because her eyes were open.

I thought Heiner Schmitz's words were the most striking because of what his buddies reacted to his sickness. They bought him beer and cigarettes because they couldn't get their head around the fact that their friend was dying. Maybe it was a sign of the stages of denial like in the book " On Death and Dying".

aeisenberg

Back to top Go down

Post  britt_somers Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:48 am

1. the effects of studying people before and after people die is that he gets to see the process of death and how it effects people. the good side of it is that he gets to understand death and be more comfortable with his own nearing of death. the downside is that he has to over come his fear of dead people and he has to deal with dead bodies. this makes him more acceptable to death but also plays with his head and he has wierd dreams and made him and his wife feel isolated.

2. it changed both his and his wifes view not really on death but their view on life and how precious it is, they also mention hw they will now help a family member or a freind during a terminal illness. it changed my point of view on death because it made me realize that people are either really anger or really content with dying. the people who are anger are the ones who regret what they did during their lives, the ones that were content were the ones that lived happily and loved their lives.

3.yes, it a creepy way it is art. it shows the difference in life and death and the people point of views on death. thats what art is about, shows peoples different points of views.
4.the patient i found most interesting was barbara. the reason i think i find her so interesting is because she strived so hard to be something and to be loved by someone. she was rejected as a child and she made it on her own. even then she said her last few days" It is as though I am being rejected by life itself". That really made me sad for her for some odd reason. the other patient who really stuck out in my mind was maria. she was so inspiring to me when she said "Death is nothing, I embrace death. It is not eternal. Afterwards, when we meet God, we become beautiful". its such a positive look on life that i know she enjoyed her ride and thats what i want when im dying.
5.the patient that i found the most striking was gerda. she was so anger that she wasnt going to get to enjoy her retirement and she was angry with god. her daughter told her that one day they will be together again and she told her no we wont you will be eaten by worms. the daugther said what about souls and she basically said we dont have one. this was interesting to me to see how anger she was and how she took it all out on god instead of excepting her fate.

britt_somers

Back to top Go down

Post  SBornstein Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:48 am

Some of the benefits Walter Schels gets from this is that he will be helping the families of others who get to see their loved ones before and after they die, which will give both comfort and hopefully acceptance. However, some of the downsides of being this photographer are that Walter must deal with the idea of death often, which can get a little depressing. This photography will affect him positively because he will be accustomed to the effects of terminal illnesses and will be more comfortable with the scary idea, and also will make the patient's families happy. Some of the negative sides are that it must be hard for him to be with someone one day, and then never be able to see or talk to them again.

This artistic exhibit has changed the artist because unlike most people, he has to deal with death all of the time. At first he was probably a little uncomfortable, but each time the idea of death probably became more and more natural and something not to fear. He probably saw how so many people were dreading to die, or wanting to die because they were in so much pain, but after they had died, they were all peaceful and worryless. Viewing this has changed me because it is interesting to see one before and after they die. Many of the patients looked so sad and unhappy, or scared and regretful, whereas when they died, they seemed so peaceful because they had no worries or probelms, and nothing could hurt them. This made me realize that death is not always a "bad" thing.

I definitely think that this exhibit is considered art. The pictures show a cause and effect, and show one person in two extremely different ways. Both pictures are of the same person, but the "before" picture shows the guilt, anger, and sadness, whereas the "after" picture shows everyone as so content and peaceful. This is a great concept and everyone should look at the pictures.

The photo pair that I found most poignant was Beate Taube. In the photo where she was alive, she looks scared, and helpless, but is trying to be strong. Her face takes up most of the picture, and her huge eyes are deep and look scared, as if they are saying "help me." They are huge, and really spoke to me. The wrinkles under her eyes show the stress and fear that she had of her terminal illness, and knew that her time on Earth was limited. The second picture, of her death, shows her after her hair has fallen out, and she looks tired and like she has been through a lot. She looks relieved, like she can finally relax for her fight is over. She looks strong, as she did put up a good fight, but after her death, she will never have to worry again.

I found Roswitha Pacholleck's (P.15) words the most striking. She said, "It’s only now that I have cancer that, for the first time ever, I really want to live." I found this intriguing and striking, because she lived such an unhappy life, and the point in her life when she was happy was when she had cancer. She realized that she had taken her life for granted and wasted her days on Earth as an unhappy woman, when she could have just made the best of situations. It is sad, but at least she was able to live her last days happily, and died as a happy woman.

SBornstein

Back to top Go down

Post  anthonygilkenson Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:49 am

It effects him positively because he was abelt o overcome his long childhood fear od dead bodies. He was able to come face to face with death and handle it like it was no big deal. Now, he will be more prepared than almost anyone for his impending death and when his final moments come he will not be scared because he will already have associated with it so much that it will not be a problem for him. However, it has effected him negatively from a psychological standpoint almost as mucha s it has effected him positively. He sometimes has dreams that the dead people wake up and are asking him what is going on and he is at a loss of words and does notknow what he should tell them. Also, he may become attached to the suffering patients and feel sorry for them if they're afraid of dying.

It has changed the artist by making him less afraid of death and dead bodies. The subject of death is no longer tabboo for him, and almost even a party. Frequently they have drinks and socialize while they are photographing the dead bodies. I can only imagine how much fun that can be, getting smashed and playing with dead bodies. But anyway, he has grown to accept death and no longer fear it. So far, the viewing really hasnt changed me. It's only been a few minutes. It was gnarly to see the pictures. Maybe I'm too thick headed right now, I don't know. But it didn't really change me at all. It is crazy though to think that eventually the body you have known your whole life will one day become a limp, lifeless, mass.

Yes. It is the cart of life and death. he is showing you before and after pictures of the sick and dying, and he is slapping you in the face with the reality of what you look like once you die. he can describ e it explictly, the cold, the hard, the heavy. Also, it is art in physical terms too because sometimes he has to prep the body or prop it up somehow to make a more impacting photo.

The one of Rita Schoffler because in her before picture, she looks almost well. She does not appear to be afraid or in pain and looks like she can stroll out the door any minute and go to work or something. But then, in the after picture, she looks dead as shit man. It is kind of eerie looking at her. Her mouth is all droopy and open and she looks like she was a sick person. And that one kind of exemplifies death because it shows that when you die you're gone and you have no control over anything anymore, and that photo clearly showed that nobody was home and all life had left her.

The one lady who was panic stricken. I don't recall her name and I am too lazy and do not have enough time to go back and check. But she was conversing with her daughter and said that they would not meet up again because your body is either burned or becomes worm food. And then her daughter asked what about your sould and then woman replied don't tell me about my soul, where is God now? Or something like that. But anyway, that really struck me because that lady must have been scared as hell to abndon her faith and let her daughter down like that. She was really afraid of death. It made me feel sorry for her, because the worst feeling that someone can have is fear and loneliness, and she had heavy doses of both mixed in with panic and a sense of abandonment.l

anthonygilkenson

Back to top Go down

Photography Exhibit:  Life Before Death - Page 2 Empty photography exhibit

Post  cwu Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:50 am

Walter has chosen to study those people who are dealing with cancer and how he has spoken to them. Walter gets to see how these people deal with cancers and that it shows him how people had live through it. This has no effect on Walter because he is the one that is seeing them and that he just wants to know what the patients are going through and how they deal with it.

I think that it has changed the artist because many people look at death in a different point of view. Many people look at death by different ways because it is based on their religion and some people don’t base it on the religion. The viewing changed me by looking at the pictures and how the people die peacefully and that death is not something to be scared of.

I think that this is not an exhibit because it is the way people want to view their death and for people to know what its like. I think that this is also not an exhibit because you wouldn’t want to see something like this of how people passed away.

My picture that I liked was picture 9 because Rita has a young looking face and that Rita looks happy in this photo. The way the photographer had taken this picture was like how he had mad it look like that she was going to live longer.

.” For weeks, all she’d wanted to do was die. But, she said, “now I’d love to be able to participate in life one last time…”- I think that this means she wanted to do one more thing before she passes away in life and that she wanted to enjoy the last moment before she is gone. She had appreciated the things that were given to her before she was diagnosed with cancer.

cwu

Back to top Go down

Photography Exhibit:  Life Before Death - Page 2 Empty LIFE BEFORE DEATH

Post  Heather Francis Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:52 am

This project was hard on them because they watched these people just die after getting some time to talk to them and listening to there stories, he says "There were times when it seemed such a strange, unbelievable thing to be doing." but also it has changed how they feel not only about dying themselves but how they feel about living.
This exhibit had taught me that death is going to happen and it isnt the most nicest thing it kind of made me feel sick and give sympathy for these people. its all going to happen to us one day or an other and these exhibit makes it feel really real.
Yes because you are looking at these people who are dying and it makes you think about death and what they might be going through and same with art whether its a painting or a photo there are both art they tell a story and make you think.
Rita Schoffler she was 62 this i find the most poignant because she looks so alive in the first portrait and in the second one she look completely dead.
Rita Schoffler
“I shouldn’t have waited nearly so long to forgive and forget. I’m still fond of him despite everything.” For weeks, all she’d wanted to do was die. But, she said, “now I’d love to be able to participate in life one last time…” it really makes you think you dont want to be made at someone there is no point you have your whole life and why spend it never forgiving someone.

Heather Francis

Back to top Go down

Photography Exhibit:  Life Before Death - Page 2 Empty Life Before Death Photography

Post  Veronica De Bernardo Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:53 am

1. Explain the benefits and downsides of the subject Walter Schels has chosen to study. How does it effect him both positively and negatively?The first Photo of life is very meaningful. With every person their eyes show a bold characteristic, almost as if they are saying "i know". It takes courage to face death and these photos captured it perfectly. The downside is the death photo they look like theyve been through alot and the black and white makes it more harsh and real to look at the dead.

2. How has the creation of this artistic exhibit changed the artist? How did viewing it change you? Walter Schels thinks its odd and wrong that death is so hidden from view. Ofcourse he had some difficulties dealing with taking pictures of the body but followed through with the message he wanted to send out. My personal view on death with these photographs are very personal. Reading the captions along the side of the photo and looking dead on into their eyes is an intense feeling.

3. Do you think this exhibit is art? Why/why not? Ofcourse i think this exhibit is art. Photography is a major factor in art. Like the saying "every picture is worth a million words". These photos that Walter has taken will bring words into deeper level. The black and white brings reality, as well as the define lines in their face. Each expression on their face leads to different conversation.

The pair of photos that struck me the most was Elly Genthe. Her caption said that she was very independent and like to care of herself and if she couldnt shed rather be dead. The first photo of life shows that expression completely. She looks like shes fighting with all her might and doesnt even want to be photographed. Her anger & passion in her eyes is saying im going to make it through this on my own, so go a head and take your picture. The death picture just looks so tired like she had been through so much.

Maria's words were most striking to me because in her belief of guru they wait till the day they die. Its something they practice in to achieve a good after life. She prepeared mentally for the day of death and her photo looks very pleased as if her meditation worked out nicely flower

Veronica De Bernardo

Back to top Go down

Photography Exhibit:  Life Before Death - Page 2 Empty thanatology

Post  Kbrown Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:54 am

His entire view of life was changed when he saw these people during the last
few months of each persons life. Seeing the dead after they died made him see life in a different way and made him appreciate life more.
It changed his view on how he viewed death and made him get over the fear of death. Viewing this exhibit has not really changed my view of death.
Yes, but in a different way because it is showing the people before and after death and when the person is dead they seem to have a pale tone to their face and seem to have more shadowed features.
I found that the photo of Klara Behrens, 83, was the most poignant because the
picture before she died she seemed like she was still full of life but then when she died, her face became very wrinkled in such a short amount of time but she looks as though she is at peace.
"I wonder if it’s possible to have a second chance at life?” by Klara Behrens
really struck me because it makes me think about what will happen after death and if we will be able to have a second chance at life.

Kbrown

Back to top Go down

Post  nicklopez Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:54 am

The benefits of photographing the dying for Walter Schels is that it has made him more understanding of death and no longer fearful of it. Downsides are that the work he has done has at points made him extremely depressed, leading him to spend some nights with a bottle of whiskey.

Schels is not longer afraid of bodies; he can even pick them up and move them into different positions. He also has come to a greater understanding of death. He no longer fears the imminence of it, so he is more ready for it. Viewing the photos showed me what it looks like when life has left the body. I think it has made me more prepared for when I have to face death, for a friend, relative, or myself.

Yes, it creates provoking thoughts and feelings that art is supposed to create.

Klara Behrens, because she looks so different after her death.

The asian woman who does not fear death and wants to be isolated from all people so that she will pass into the next life.

nicklopez

Back to top Go down

Post  KSnyder Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:57 am

1.Explain the benefits and downsides of the subject Walter Schels has chosen to study. How does it effect him both positively and negatively?
The benefits is that a person could really see death and what it does to people. Schels and his partner said that it was emotionally draining and they never really got use to doing the photos. The positive effects though were that they got to sit down with these people and really hear what they had to say. Both learned that someone needs to be there for the dying.
The exhibit helped the artist face death and see that most of these people were lonely and really needed someone to be there for them when they died. This viewing helped me see that death wasn’t something really graphic.
Yes, it is art because art helps you deal with subjects and transforms something into emotions or feeling. These pictures take death which is an incredibly scary subject and really lets you see what it is and does in a visual way. It was his own way of dealing with death through art and expression something that people fear.
The pictures of Elly Genthe were the ones that effected me the most. She had the most emotion on her face in the before picture and the end picture she looked completely drained. The pictures were taken less than a month apart.
Heiner Schmitz “But no one asks me how I feel. Don't they get it? I'm going to die!” It was the most striking to me because even though he had close friends and had been known for his speaking skills he couldn’t have that conversation he really needed. When he was dying his friends were trying to do what they felt he would enjoy the most. In reality all he wanted, and it seems any of the subjects wanted, was really talk about what was to come and not feel alone.

KSnyder

Back to top Go down

Post  LBrook Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:25 pm

The benefits of the subjects Walter Schels has chosen to study is that it captures the aspect of life and death. Many people are scared of death and part of it is because it is the unknown. His pictures cause people to look death right in the face and many get an idea of what death looks like after looking through his gallery. This made me less fearful of death because all of the patients looked peaceful after death. On the contrary his choice of subject can turn many away. You have to be prepared and reached a certain maturity in order to observe these photos. Many people in the world just aren't ready to come to terms with this revolutionary strand of art. This affects him positively because he has been afraid of death ever since he saw dead bodies as a young child in the Munich war. This project has helped him start to come to terms with death before he dies, since he knows that the end isn't too far away. It affected him negatively because he got to know the patients and feel for them. After a funeral him and his partner would often go home and cry and drink. This was emotionally and physically tolling on him.

The creation of this exhibit didn't change the way that he felt about death. Although he was no longer afraid of dead bodies he feared death in general. He still feared dying because whether you believe in a religion or not the fear of the unknown was still plastered over every subjects face. He has noticed however that it changed his prospective on life. Many of the patients talked about how they wish they would have done things differently in their lives. This changed my view on life also. I now realize that it is important to live life to the fullest and not to work for something such as retirement when I don't even know if I am going to live to be able to reap the rewards of all that hard work. Instead I feel it is important to enjoy life while i still have it.

I feel that this exhibit is art because it is an expression of our culture. In today’s time nobody likes to face the subject of death. Many people go through great lengths to avoid it, but Schels forces the viewer to form an opinion about it. In my opinion something can be considered a form of art when there is controversial thoughts about it and when the observer has to contemplate the piece and draw their own conclusions. There is not a better way that anyone could have captured and portrayed death.

I find the photo pairs with Elly Genthe the most poignant because in the first picture she appeared to be angry and fierce. She seemed so full of life even tho she had to have an oxygen hose to help her breathe. Then in the picture after death, she looks peaceful and serene. This makes me feel that with death one becomes at peace with the world and that there should be nothing to fear about death at all. Overall this pair of photos comforted me about what happens when you die.

I found Rita Schoffler’s words to be the most striking because I imagine that I will feel the same way that she does. She talked for weeks and weeks about how she just wanted to die and be done with treatment but as the end grew nearer she commented that she wanted a second chance at life. It goes along with the well known saying that you don’t know what you have until it is taken away. This forced me to realize that every moment and every decision is important in life because you don’t want to reach the end and wonder what if.

LBrook

Back to top Go down

Post  CChew Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Walter Schels had always had a fear of death and especially dead bodies. As a young boy, he had undergone a traumatic experience when his house was bombed during World War II. He witnessed countless bodies lying on the ground with detached limbs. At the same time, he felt the need to expose to the public of the journey terminally ill patients must embark on as their death is near. Even though this task was a challenge, the insight gained out of the project made it all worth it. His perspective on death had changed, but most importantly, his view on how life should be lived changed. He understood the importance of being there for those who are suffering from a terminal illness and how active listening can make a difference. So in the end, even though the process was difficult, both Schels and the subjects of his photos benefited from the experience. The subjects finally were given the opportunity to be heard and Schels got over his fear of death.

By taking on this project, the capturing of life after death, Schels gained much knowledge of what life is like for someone facing impending death. For a good portion of his subjects, many of them had accepted their fate and were willing to move on. They reached a stage of contentment. For others, they were bitter as they felt that life was being taken away from them too soon. Nevertheless, all of them expressed lonliness. By giving the ill patients the opportunity to share their life story, they felt comforted and cared for knowing that there is someone out there that can handle the truth: death is rapidly approaching and nothing is going to change their fate. This exhibit changed the artist as his comprehension of death expanded. For me, the viewing of the exhibit opened my eyes to what death looks like, literally. This shows how powerful photography is as a tool; it has the ability to alter one’s perspective.

I view the exhibit as an artistic visual documentation of life and life after death. Oddly enough, I find beauty in the photos as they are authentic; the expression of the subjects’ faces are sincere. And because of this, I view the photos as art.[/color]

The photo pair I found the most poignant were the photos of Elly Genthe, the 83 year old resilient woman. This photo pair is dramatic. The photo of her before she died perfectly portrayed the type of person she was described as. She was independent who would rather die than have someone take care of her. The photo taken after her death tells a different story; she looked at peace as if she was finally put at rest after all her years tackling life’s challenges.

I found Maria Hai-Anh Tuyet Cao’s words the most powerful. In her quotes, she appeared to be a strong minded individual with an unwavering spiritual faith. Even theough she knew her death closely awaited her, she did not fear it but instead embraced it. If only all humans had such certainity that all will be fine after death, then death would not be looked down upon so negatively.

CChew

Back to top Go down

Photography Exhibit:  Life Before Death - Page 2 Empty exhibit art

Post  wthwe Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:15 pm

It is important know that death is something that you can't get away from and it is hard to say goodbye when it comes to this. Because of the fact that Walter study about exhibit photos, it affects him not to think death as wrong way and you can still be in good shape if you think death as in positive way. Compare to now and then pictures, you can see how peaceful their faces are and you can see something in their faces that can rarely found during their lives. The negative affect is that it is hard to stay strong when you were in cancer and a lot of patients think they are burden to their families or environment.

It is more realistic and the artist can learn the lesson very closely. The pictures prove that death exists and it is hard to deny death. According to the pictures, it makes me realize that the patients feel close to something that they feel like to and their faces are so relentless and it is hard to mention that some of them tried to deny death.

No because it looks very realistic to me. I feel like their faces tell the whole story of their lives and they are very comfortable at where they belong to.
I would say 5/22 Elly Genthe because in her first portrait, she seems like she has so much pain so that she is not comfortable with her situation and she just want to give up on her disease instead of trying. She seemed depressed and tries not to give up but the anger came out as she trying to manage her illness. On her second portrait, she doesn’t even look like she suffers so much pain as before and she looks so release and all peaceful.

5. Which of the subjects' words did you find the most striking? Explain

Edelgard Clavey says "Death is a test of one’s maturity. Everyone has got to get through it on their own. I want very much to die. I want to become part of that vast extraordinary light. But dying is hard work. Death is in control of the process, I cannot influence its course. All I can do is wait. I was given my life, I had to live it, and now I am giving it back". It is the most striking phrase for me because death becomes closer and closer no matter what and you got to do what you have to do and it is hard for us to be on our own. She said dying is hard because we are not ready for it and it takes time to take death as in positive way.

wthwe

Back to top Go down

Photography Exhibit:  Life Before Death - Page 2 Empty sorry, the font color wasn't working

Post  LMichaeloff Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:36 pm

The benefits of this subject that Walter Schels has chosen to study is that he is able to be close to the dead. He and his partner were able to focus on what will happen in the furture when it comes to a illness and also focus on life in the present. He said that because he experienced being so close to so many dying people has changed how they feel not only about dying but also how they feel about living. After his study he said that he was no longer terrified of dead bodies. The downsides of this study was that not everyone, he wanted to shoot wanted to be involved. But that's understandable. Another downfall is that he had such a terrible fear, and it took him every ounce of his body to go through with the study. Now that schels is not terrfied of dead bodies, that has helped him in a positive way. In a negative way it effects him in a sense of loneleness and isolation during the shoots.
[/color]

It changed the artist in the way that he veiw death in the future, but also how he vewied life and the living. It changed me, in a way that becoming more comfortable around a dead person is hard, but to face that fear you have to just no think about it and just do it. It made me see that the dying can teach us just as much as the living can teach us.

I do think this exhibit is art. It was a way of expressing Schels fear. It may not look like a typical painting or photogaph that one would see in art exihibit however, this exhibit is unique.

The photo pairs that I found to be the mos poignant were the pictures of Elly Genthe. She looked so different in the two pictures. In the first picture she appeared to be angry and in the second picture she looked at rest and at peace. Overall, these pictures are the ones that I felt stood out the most.

The subject that I felt, had the words of being striking was Heiner Schmitz. He knew he had close friends, but still felt alone and lonely. His friends wanted to talk to him, in a way that they thought would make him feel better. Like his intrests, or what was happening in the world. Heiner, didn't want to talk about that kind of stuff. He wanted to talk about was was happening to him. So even though Heiner felt his had friends, he still felt lonely with no one to talk to.

LMichaeloff

Back to top Go down

Post  C.Gutierrez Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:55 pm

1.Explain the benefits and downsides of the subject Walter Schels has chosen to study. How does it effect him both positively and negatively?
Schels gets to show and learn how lonely dying can be. Schels can show the burden of that dying has on people. Schels had to deal with moving the bodies, he had to learn how to deal with people that are going to die and Schels had to learn how to deal with it. Schels and his study had affected him by him able to learn how people feel about dying and how to help those that are dying.

The artist was able to learn how to communicate with the dying, how to help them, and learn how they think. The art changed me by showing the rash, blunt, truth about death. Reading about it and viewing the pictures changed me by realizing the toll that death can have on a person and how quickly a disease can take your life.
I really do find this art. I find this are because it show reality, it shows something that is makes you think, makes you react to what you have now.
Rita Schoffler is the photo pairs that I find most poignant. Just how much she changed, she looked normal for the most part. The after picture her face had sagged, her hair did grow back long. I find that Rita is the only person that changed the dramatically to me.
Beate Taube, she was only 44 years of age and she had been fighting breast cancer for 4 years. What made me pick this photo was that Beate even went to look at the place where she was going to be buried at. I find that truly deep, arranging your funeral is one thing but visiting the spot that you are going to die at is just a huge step. I find what Beate did very courageous.

C.Gutierrez

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next